Thursday, April 10, 2008

Will the real ratatouille please stand up?

Remember the Disney/Pixar movie Ratatouille (pronounced ra-ta-tu-ii)?



Ratatouille, or ratatouille niçoise, is a traditional French stewed vegetable dish from Nice (Southern France).


Aaah...Paris! Rémy gazing at Eiffel Tower, just like I did!

According to Wikipedia: the original ratatouille niçoise has zucchini, tomatoes, green and red peppers, onion, and garlic. Today, eggplant is added to the mixture.


Rémy served ratatouille, causing Ego to relive his childhood memories.

So when I found out I was going to Europe for spring break, I mentally noted that I HAVE to try ratatouille. I mean, Ego totally had an enlightening and orgasmic experience eating the ratatouille that Rémy prepared. It must be REALLY good, right?


This is what I thought ratatouille would look like when served in real life.

But I never saw ratatouille served at any of the restaurants I went to in Paris. Even in Nice, where the dish originated from, I never saw it on the menus. Until...

...we took a day trip to the Monte Carlo, Monaco, which was just an hour's bus ride away from Nice. I FINALLY saw it on the menu and I HAD to order it.

This is what I got:


Ratatouille niçoise, served at one of the restaurants in Monte Carlo, at €19.

The size of the dish was probably...smaller than maggi mee?

But it WAS delicious, given that I'm not a huge fan of tomato-based food. It was not that I didn't like the dish, but more that I was disappointed.

I mean, seriously, compare this two:



2 comments:

Khirul said...

well, yours wasn't prepared by a rat.

JenKin Yat said...

the movie and real life are totally different..that's why reality tv shows are always fake :P